Auto Accidents and DMV SR-1

DMV SR-1The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department implemented a policy not to investigate minor, non-injury, auto collisions. We previously went into detail about what you should do if you are involved in an auto accident on our blog.

If you are injured in an auto accident, or the at-fault party is refusing to provide you with any information, you should contact the police. They should respond if this is indeed the situation.

Unfortunately, in auto accidents, injuries may not be instantaneous. Many people do not feel much pain until hours or even a few days after the accident. Unfortunately, these incidents will not be properly investigated by the police, and thus it will be up to you to get the necessary information.

If you have a camera (your phone most likely has one!) and you can safely do so, take pictures of the area and the vehicles. If possible take pictures of the other driver, the other driver’s license, registration and insurance. Also, make sure you take pictures of the license plates of the vehicles involved in the collision and any skid marks. Also, attain the names, addresses and telephone numbers of all individuals involved and/or who witnessed the collision. You must attain the insurance information of the at-fault party. If they do not want to provide it, contact the police. Also, do not forget to get the time, date and precise location of the collision.

After the accident, if it is not investigated by the police, there is one requirement that many people overlook. That is, you must report the accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles. There is a form (SR-1) that must be filled out within 10 days of the collision if you are injured and/or if there is more than $750 in property damage. You can attain a copy of the form at the Nevada’s DMV’s website here.

The requirement of filling out the form is very strict. If you willfully fail, refuse or neglect to make a report your license can be suspended for one (1) year. Also, if you provide false information on the report, you could be found guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

The form requires that you list the individuals involved. Also, you need to provide a copy of your insurance for the vehicle involved in the collision; a copy of the estimate of repair showing a loss of more than $750; and/or a doctor’s statement of injury if you are injured.

Also, if you are the owner of the vehicle, and the driver of the vehicle is physically incapable of filling out the form, it is your responsibility as owner to fill out the form timely.

Although these requirements have been around for many years, most of the time one never had to worry about filing the SR-1 form because the police investigated and filed out the police report. The SR-1 form is not required if the accident is investigated by a police officer. However, now that the police is no longer investigating accidents, it is the responsibility of the driver to fill out the required DMV form (or the owner, if the driver is physically incapacitated).

To give you a handy checklist, after the accident:

  • If safe to do so, take pictures of
    • The area the accident occurred
    • The vehicles involved and their license plates
    • The other driver
    • The other driver’s license, registration, and insurance
    • Skid marks from the accident
  • If you can’t get all the pictures, get
    • Names, addresses and phone numbers of the people involved and witnesses
    • Attain insurance info from at-fault party. If they don’t provide it, contact the police.
  • Time, date and location of the auto accident
  • Fill out the SR-1 form